Costs Lawyer & Director of Legal Costs
dd: +44 (0)20 3633 1273
m: +447753 628664 (24 hours)
Afqar began his legal career at a major City of London firm in the late 1980s and has been a practicing costs specialist for almost 25 years. He was amongst the first to be granted rights of audience and Costs Lawyer status.
During his career Afqar has acted for many high profile clients, from MP’s and a former Prime Minister to actors, authors and musicians as well as for large commercial institutions, both through solicitors’ and direct access. He has acted on costs issues following some of the largest cases litigated in London including:
- A multi-faceted billion-dollar aviation dispute conducted in several jurisdictions that was subject of several appeals.
- Many major Intellectual Property and Patent disputes with international elements and multiple jurisdiction aspects.
- Several solicitor/client disputes – including advising global energy companies, banks and hedge funds.
- Several significant costs claims running to several million pounds against NCA/SOCA including claims made by overseas individuals.
- Many substantial planning disputes for Telecoms companies and major London property developers including numerous Judicial Reviews.
- A large group litigation involving mis-selling of a substantial City of London investment property running to tens of millions of pounds.
- Advising on, and drafting costs claims brought by high profile overseas nationals including royal family members.
- Several significant privacy and defamation cases brought in the UK by celebrities, high-profile sports stars and politicians.
- Advising Swiss based asset trust companies on legal fees incurred in dealing with global trusts.
- Costs arising from Government Inquiries.
- Multi-claimant cases arising from a major air accident.
- Several international oil and gas litigation costs disputes.
Afqar advises on all aspects of contentious litigation costs and complex solicitor/client disputes.
Afqar holds a practicing certificate and has rights of audience in all costs proceedings, including those conducted under CPR44-48 in the High Court, on appeal to the Court of Appeal and in first instance to the Supreme Court. He is also an accredited training provider.